New Equality Commission Guidance for Employers
NEW EQUALITY COMMISSION GUIDANCE FOR EMPLOYERS: A GUIDE TO EMPLOYMENT EQUALITY MONITORING
The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland has published new Guidance titled A Guide to Employment Equality Monitoring for employers on how to conduct employment equality monitoring for the purpose of promoting equality of opportunity in employment.
It outlines what employers should consider when planning to monitor and it offers some practical suggestions, such as sample questions, which will be very welcome by businesses
The Guide covers both mandatory monitoring and also extending the monitoring into other non-mandatory areas:
- Gender Reassignment & Gender Identity questions
- Racial and ethnic group questions
- Disability questions
- Sexual orientation question
- Marital or civil partnership status question
- Dependants and caring responsibilities
It is divided into five Chapters. Chapter 3 is devoted to looking in details at the data protection issues arising from monitoring.
Chapter 1: Why monitor?
Chapter 2: The equality law context covers
– Mandatory monitoring
– Voluntary Workforce Monitoring
– Monitoring carried out by designated public authorities
Chapter 3: Understanding the data protection laws
Chapter 4: How to monitor
Chapter 5: Sample monitoring questionnaire